Saturday 12 July 2014

Eiffel tower in Paris, France.



This is my fourth post listing the twenty one finalists that went to vote to become one of the New 7Wonders.

First was the Acropolis which I have not visited


Second was the ALHAMBRA Spain which I wrote a post about.


ANGKOR WAT in Cambodia was third on the list and my post about this is on here too.


Fourth is the COLOSSEUM in Italy which again I have yet to see. My husband went to Rome for his first Honeymoon so it isn't high on his list at the present time.


The fifth on the list which is done alphabetically is the CORCOVADO (CHRIST THE REDEEMER) in Rio, Brazil.


Now we come to No 6 which is the Eiffel tower in Paris, France.


I first visited this famous tower when on A french exchange when I was about 14 years old. I remember we took the lift up and walked down. Even then when I was young and a lot fitter my legs had gone to jelly by the time we got to the bottom.

The tower is named after the man Gustave Eiffel whose company designed and built the iron tower.

The tower was built to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution in the 1889 Exposition Universell.

These days over 7 million visitors, pay to go up the tower every year. 75% of the visitors are foreigners. The tower is apparently the most visited attraction in the world that you have to pay to visit.

There are 1665 steps to the top of the tower which is 324 metres tall.

It was originally only a temporary building but after twenty years there was a petition to keep it standing. It has become a symbol of Paris recognised the world over and has been seen by over 250 million people since it was first opened.

Famous world wide and one of the twenty one finalists but NOT one of the New 7Wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment